Nikos Dimou (1935)
"If Noam Chomsky and Gore Vidal have a Greek analogue, it is Nikos Dimou". One of his generation’s most fertile minds, a legendary advertising man and a prolific writer, Dimou was born in Athens in 1935. He studied English and French literature in Athens and Philosophy in Munich and has published 61 books: among them essays, short prose, satire, philosophy, poetry, and political theory. His book, On the Unhappiness of Being Greek (1975), -currently in its 32nd edition with over 120,00 copies sold-, was published in Germany (Verlag Antje Kunstmann, 2012), France (Editions Payot & Rivages, 2012), UK (Zero Books, 2012), Italy (Castelvecchi, 2012), Spain (Anagrama, 2012), Bulgaria (Orange Books, 2016) and Poland (Książkowe Klimaty, 2016). The Albanian (Botime Pegi) and Turkish editions (Istos) are forthcoming. His collection of essays titled, Die Deutschen sind an allem schuld, was published by Verlag Antje Kunstmann in 2014.
- Die Deutschen sind an allem schuld, (essays), Antje Kunstmann, 2014
- Modern Greek Dictionary of Irony, (dictionary), Patakis, 2013
- Oi Dromoi mou (My Ways), (autobiography), Patakis, 2015
- On the Unhappiness of Being Greek, (aphorisms), 1975, 32nd edition, Patakis, 2013 [Rights sold: Germany: Verlag Antje Kunstmann 2012, France: Payot & Rivages 2012, UK: Zero Books, 2012, Spain: Anagrama, 2012, Italy: Castelvecchi, 2012, Bulgaria: Botime Pegi, 2016, Poland: Książkowe Klimaty, 2016, Turkey: Istos, forthcoming 2016, Albania: Botime Pegi, forthcoming, 2017]
- Poiimata 1950-2005 (Poems) , (poetry) Typothito Publishers, 2005
- Full Bibliography
Praise for Nikos Dimou:
Dimous’ genius lies in the depth of his writing, or under its surface.
Panagiotis Hatzimoisiadis, Avgi Newspaper
... a gifted, clever, observant and sparkling writer.
Praise for On the Unhappiness of Being Greek:
Painfully relevant to understanding the current crisis engulfing (Greece) and the continent.
Die Welt, 2012
Only the Gods know why it took almost forty years for this work to appear in Germany.
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 2012
A Phidias of style.
Le Point, 2012